.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Reply: 7 Things I learned from Hurricane Erma

Fernando
I have been reading your blog for about 3 years now and I thank you very much for your efforts.
I live have lived in Miami and Fort Lauderdale Florida my entire life and I have a lot of family in the Tampa area that have been there for at least 20 years.
There are 2 things that are simply wrong in the post that I wanted to comment on, but my comment doesn't display, so I thought I would email them to you.
1) There hasn't been an earthquake in the Tampa/Pinellas County, FL area since 1931 and likely never. I think the 1931 number I find when I search on the internet is simply when they started writing this stuff down for Florida. We simply don't get earthquakes in Florida. So that part of the post is wrong.
2) This is the more serious point that I hope you relay on your blog. The myth of cracking windows open during a hurricane/tornado is dead wrong. This myth has been debunked and is simply dangerous. You can find the research that Texas Tech did in 1977 easily on the internet about this myth.
The second item is the only reason I am writing you. I just don't want people thinking that this is something you should do in a hurricane as the poster is dead wrong on it and it could result in others doing it in the future.
Have a great day
Regards
Chet
....
Hello Chet, thanks for your email. Mark had some great points and I really do apreciate it. That piece of advice did sound a bit odd. For what its worth, Snopes also says its a flase myth.  http://www.snopes.com/science/hurricane.asp
Still, I do appreacite everyone imput, especially those hard earned lessons and after action reports.
Take care everyone and thanks!
ferFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”

2 comments:

TampaMark said...

Chet,

I don't mind getting corrected on things I say that are not true so I do want to get things straight.

I was unaware of any data, until you pointed it out, that the window opening during a hurricane was not valid. I was an insurance adjuster after hurricane Iniki in Hawaii in 1992 and that is what I got from the local population. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I was born and lived most my life in Southern California and have lived through 7 earthquakes that were really serious shakes, so I know where of I speak. In 2006 there was an earthquake in the Gulf of of Mexico on September 10 at 10:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time. It was a good shake and rattled some nerves of those who never experienced one. Looks it up and you can get the details.

TampaMark



TampaMark said...

Chet,

I don’t mind being corrected when there is something I say that is not true. So the data on the cracking the window open was new to me. I was an insurance adjuster after hurricane Iniki in Hawaii in 1992 and I got my data from the local clients I talked to.

On the earthquake, being born and lived most my life in Southern California I have been through 7 serious temblors. So I know of what I speak there. Yes, it is very unusual for Florida to get them but the one I was referring to occurred in the eastern Gulf of Mexico on September 10 at 10:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time. It was a magnitude 5.8 earthquake that I and others definitely felt in the Tampa Bay area. Look it up. It rattled windows and a good number of nerves of those who have never lived through one.

Mark