.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Accident during defensive shooting training



It happened to a person I know and occasionally shoot with. We were actually going to sign up to the same “Shooting from and around Vehicles” class, but the class was full by the time I called.

He was simply reholstering, somehow forgot the finger in the trigger or caught it accidentally with the trigger guard and “bam”, he shot himself. The FMJ 9mm round went 12″ trough the side of the leg, then through his foot, almost lost a toe.
He’s ok but needs two operations to get his toe fixed. All in all a lucky shot, could have been much worse. It didn’t hurt at all at first, according to him. Then it hurt like hell as he was rushed to the hospital.

Buy your BA folks and wear it during training! You sometimes don’t know the level of proficiency of the guy next to you and even if you do accidents just happen.

FerFAL
Join the forum discussion on this post

9 comments:

B said...

Again: A separate safety on a pistol (besides the "trigger safety" or "grip safety" can prevent these reholstering accidents.

From you post, I would be tht at this was a Glock. But it can happen to any firearm. A real safety helps to prevent this.

Double Tapper said...

A FMJ will make a nice hole through flesh and bone! That is why I prefer some sort of manual safety or trigger disconnect cause during holstering or unholstering, it's just too easy for the trigger to get caught on something. Then you have your AD - BAM!

DaShui said...

Maybe the "new York" trigger at 7 pounds would be good to have.

dc.sunsets said...

This is why it pays to take the holster off you before reholstering the gun IF you're carrying at 1 or 11 o'clock. An AD there can hit the femoral artery or genitalia (Ouch!) and there's no fix to that.

I always consider holstering a loaded gun to be a delicate operation, whether the gun has a manual safety or the one on the trigger like a Glock. It's like reloading ammo: No room for even a moment of inattention.

Training classes and competitions where people are distracted by "events" is rife with danger. Mental lapses like that are like the transit cop in LA who pulled out what he thought was a Taser, and he triggered it into a handcuffed man's back as he lay on the ground. The idiot cop had accidentally pulled his gun, and he shot the poor guy dead.

Too many clowns in the no-clown zone.

FerFAL said...

David said...

This is why it pays to take the holster off you before reholstering the gun IF you're carrying at 1 or 11 o'clock. An AD there can hit the femoral artery or genitalia (Ouch!) and there's no fix to that.

Actually, that's why I would NEVER carry in such a position. Its extra dangerous, not to mention uncomfortable when you sit. 3 or 4 oclock is good for me,thanks!

FerFAL

Anonymous said...

I carry appendix and carry an XD-SC. When I reholster I put my thumb on the back of the slide while keeping finger off the trigger. This allows the grip safety to engage. And I reholster slowly.

Anonymous said...

This has always spooked me about Glocks and their lack of an "on/off switch" style of safety.

Would I buy one? Yes. Would I carry it regularly? No, I'm just not comfortable enough.

Not a fault of the firearm, just a design decision that I'm not sure I can maintain "100% awareness of it" to treat properly.

SS said...

What does BA stand for in the original post?

Thanks!

SS

SS said...

Oh! Body Armor! I got it now.....but it would not have done much in this accident.

SS